Scarborough is an excellent shape shifter. Over the course of its 200-year history it has been a tiny rural village, a township, a borough, a city, and an amalgamated part of Toronto. From some angles it’s familiar postwar, ranch-style suburbia with driveways, double garages, and strip malls, from others it’s hardscrabble industrial; railway sidings, highways, and processing plants. Scarborough is also one of the great immigrant areas of the city. There is Chinese, Filipino, Somali, Indian, and Caribbean culture in abundance here, just to name a few, and plenty of curiosities as well: parks containing pieces of lost downtown buildings, faded motels, hidden suspension bridges.
Some Interesting Facts about SCARBOROUGH :
The Rouge River is home to the only suspension bridge in Toronto. The Sewells Road Suspension Bridge was designed and built in 1912, when Scarborough was still a rural township. The single lane, steel structure, located just north of the Toronto Zoo, was the work of civil engineer John Barber, who would later lend his expertise to the record-breaking construction of the Leaside Viaduct in 1927. The suspension bridge is close to another famous Toronto crossing, the Old Finch Avenue Bailey Bridge, which was built in three days following Hurricane Hazel.